5 Rules to Protect Your Skin from Holi colors
The festival that we all have been waiting for is just around the corner. Smeared in rich and vibrant hues, Holi brings colour, unrestrained joy, a promise full of warm days and new beginnings. But it also brings with itself problems – a lot of skin related problems.
If it’s true that the colours used in Holi cause a lot of allergies, irritations and break-outs later on, it is also true that with a little precaution and by following these easy tips, you’ll be able to save yourself from any such occurrences.
Smear your exposed body parts with cold cream or oil. The grease and slipperiness of the oil will not let the harsh colours settle deep into your skin.
- Although we can’t advise you to play Holi indoors, do make sure that you apply waterproof sunscreen lotion too as it will protect you from getting a severe tan. Also, you can use herbal colours to play with. These are without difficulty available in the market.
- Keeping yourself hydrated is the trick. So keep drinking water, juices as well as glucose, should you feel the need of re-energising yourself. Dehydration reason your skin to dry and combined with harsh chemicals, the colour might seep into your skin.
- For your ears and lips, you can use Vaseline or lip-balm respectively to keep them moisturised throughout. Using Vaseline under your nails is also advisable. Dry skin reasons the pores to open wide; keeping them tinted and moisturised will do you good.
- Apply a moisturised soap with lukewarm saltwater and add a drop of baby oil to it. Remember, you should never rub your face or your body vigorously. It will not help you in removing colours but will reason damage to your skin. A mix of gram powder (besan) with milk can also be used to remove traces of colour. For people who suffer from acne – wash your face with an antibiotic gel such as Clindamycin gel.
- Moisturise your whole body thoroughly after the bath. You can use calamine, Aloe-Vera oil or a good moisturiser for the same. It is possible for the colours to not come off that simply. Do not, I repeat, do not opt for facial, scrubbing or more such salon procedures. It will reason irritation and colours, instead of coming off, will settle deeper into your skin.